MAIN TYPES OF MODELING AGENTS
There are different types of modeling agents.
- Top Modeling Agents
Top modeling agents are large-scale and usually located in fashion mecca's like London, Paris and New York. Elite and Ford are among the top modeling agents in the world.
- Boutique Modeling Agents
Boutique modeling agents are smaller in scale and provide more personal attention. These modeling agents are perfect for beginner models and some work with models of all types and sizes.
- Baby Modeling Agents and Child Modeling Agents
Baby modeling agents and child modeling agents work with the parents of very young models. These modeling agents get work permits for modeling jobs and even provide supervision during the photo shoots.
- Plus Size Modeling Agents
Plus size modeling agents cater to the fast-growing plus-size fashion industry. Plus-size models are also used to promote health and diet products.
- Pregnant Modeling Agents
Because of celebrity moms like Heidi Klum, Christina Aguilera, and Halle Berry posing for pictures and magazine covers with their very pregnant bellies, pregnant modeling agents have grown in number and status. They provide models for fashion designers, specialty stores and chain stores with maternity departments. Since a pregnant model's career is only about nine months long, pregnant modeling agents are always recruiting new expecting models.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF MODELING AGENTS
- Modeling agents will help train models, get test shoots, layout portfolios, and put together comp cards (zed cards) and other printed materials their models need.
- Modeling agents will help their models find work. They will represent them to designers, photographers and advertisement agents.
- Modeling agents will handle all the details on the business end, allowing a model to focus on modeling.
- Modeling agents will handle booking the modeling jobs, billing for the jobs, and eventually paying the models for their time.
- Modeling agents generally conducts business 'round the clock' to handle emergencies, such as cancellations or rush jobs.
- Most modeling agents have a service or an operator to direct emergency contact after hours.
SIGNING UP TO A MODELING AGENT
To sign onto a modeling agent, you can stop by or schedule an appointment. Look for all the modeling agents in your area. If a modeling agent doesn't have “open calls” or they are a long time away, ask to book an appointment or just drop by. You should do this with as many modeling agents as possible. Tyra Banks was turned down by four modeling agents! In 1991, Elite, one of the top modeling agents in the world, signed her on, and 17-year-old Tyra headed to Paris for fashion shows.
Find Modeling Agents | Submit Modeling Agents